Household Hazardous Waste & Special Item Drop-Off Collection
Village residents can drop off selected household hazardous wastes and special items on the FIRST WEDNESDAY of EVERY MONTH from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Chagrin Falls Street Department, 240 Solon Rd. The drop-off area will be marked, and is located in the pole barn behind the main service garage.
Household materials accepted at the drop-off site include:
– Oil or solvent-based paint, sealers, primers, and coatings (aerosols or liquids).
– Varnishes, polyurethanes, and shellacs.
– Paint thinner, mineral spirits, and turpentine.
– Pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
– Caustic household cleaners.
– Pool chemicals.
– Automotive fluids, motor oil, car batteries.
– Adhesives, roof tar, and driveway sealer.
– Kerosene, gasoline, and lighter fluid.
– Mercury, fluorescent bulbs (6 ft. length max.).
– Tires. NO tires on rims.
– Computers, monitors, and cellular phones.
– Rechargeable batteries ONLY.
NOTE: Alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable) are non-hazardous and can be placed in the regular trash. Dried-out paint and/or empty paint cans are not hazardous and should be placed in the regular rubbish.
Materials NOT accepted at the drop-off site include:
– Latex paint.
– Explosives, gun powder, ammunition, flares.
– Medical waste, medicine, sharps.
– Radioactive waste (i.e. smoke detectors)
– Electronics, appliances.
– Business waste.
What to do with LATEX PAINT:
Latex and any other water-based paint are not hazardous materials, and are not accepted as part of the drop-off disposal program. Latex paint should be dried out and disposed of in the regular rubbish. An instructional video on how to dry out latex paint is available at www.cuyahogaswd.org.