The Chagrin Falls Building and Zoning Department is managed by Building Inspector Harry Edwards.
Building Inspections and Submissions during COVID-19
April 2, 2020
Please read this important announcement from the Building and Zoning Department.
During to the COVID-19 health crisis the Building and Zoning department is operational but please anticipate longer than normal turnaround times in getting approvals as we are doing our best to keep things moving. We appreciate your patience and understanding as this will likely be in effect throughout the month of April or until the “stay-at-home” order is lifted. Please read the entire announcement to learn how your project may be affected.
- Inspections: The Building Department is limiting inspections during this time for the health and safety of our employees and community. Click here for details.
- Submissions: Building permits, forms, applications and submissions are still being accepted via a secure drop off location. Click here for details.
Building & Zoning Department Responsibilities
- Works under the direction of the Chief Administrator.
- Review all zoning and building applications.
- Responsible for the issuing of all zoning, building permits and occupancy permits.
- Over sees the inspections of residential building construction for 1, 2 & 3, family dwellings.
- Reviews and prepare submissions for Architectural Review Board, agendas, minutes and correspondence pertaining to ARB matters.
- Handles zoning complaints.
- Enforces the property maintenance code violations.
- Meets with property owners, residents, business owners to be of service and assist them with them with concerns, questions and matters pertaining to building and zoning.
The Building Department works with two committees on decisions concerning area construction. The Architectural Review Board makes decisions regarding exterior design proposals. The Board of Zoning Appeals handles requests for variances on renovations or new construction. Many questions can be answered by consulting the Building Department FAQ below. If you have additional questions, contact Harry Edwards at 440-247-3156.Building and Zoning FAQ
I have been with the Village of Chagrin Falls since 1977 starting out as serving as a Volunteer Fireman.
In October 1985, I worked full time in the Service Department before transferring to the Utilities Department in 1991. I worked there in the Water & Waste Departments as a Class One Waste Water Operator until 1999. After that, I transferred to Village Administration to became the first full time Building & Zoning Inspector for Chagrin Falls, certified as residential building inspector, and residential plumbing inspector.
In 2010, I retired from the Chagrin Falls Fire Department as a part time class one Firefighter/EMT after 32 years of service.
Building and Zoning Inspector