REFUSE – RUBBISH
Weekly curbside rubbish collection is provided in Chagrin Falls through a contract with the Kimble Company.
If you have any questions about the rubbish or recycling collection services in Chagrin Falls not answered by the information provided below, call Village Hall at 440-247-5050, or KIMBLE at 800-201-0005.
Rubbish is collected weekly on Thursday for the northeast side of the Village and Friday for the southwest side of the village. To find out exactly which collection day serves your house, click here for an alphabetical street list.
When the following holidays fall on a weekday, rubbish and recycling collection will be delayed by one day that week:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
PLACING CANS AT CURB
One 96 gallon wheeled cart is supplied to each residence in the Village. If your amount of rubbish cannot all fit into the cart, you can leave it placed next to the cart in bags or bundles and it will be collected. Please place out all material NO LATER THAN 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should be placed at the edge of the roadway on either the tree lawn or driveway apron with the lid opening to the street side and wheels facing your house. If you need a replacement wheeled rubbish cart or repairs made to your cart, call Kimble Company at 1-800-201-0005.
BULK / LARGE ITEMS
Any large item should be placed at the curb on the regular pickup day. No appointment is needed. All bulk items should not exceed four (4) feet in length and should not exceed 50 pounds in weight PER ITEM. Loose materials must be bundled. If necessary, a special truck will be sent to remove these items.
**Mattress – All mattresses must be wrapped in plastic.
APPLIANCES WITH FREON
Any appliances containing Freon gas (air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators and freezers) should be placed out alongside your regular rubbish. Doors must be removed from your refrigerator.
BRUSH – LIMBS – LEAVES
Brush and limbs will be picked up if tied in 4 ft. bundles that can be easily picked up and placed in the truck (not to weigh more than 50 lbs.). If brush and tree limbs fall from a Village tree-lawn tree within the right-of-way, call the Street Department at (440) 247-5053 and the material will be removed and the tree inspected. The Village offers curbside leaf collection in the fall only, starting mid-October until mid-December, weather permitting.
The Village provides containerized rubbish collection for residents of the Citadel and Nob Hill condominium complexes. Apartment building rubbish collection is provided through building management.
The Village of Chagrin Falls is committed to a convenient and efficient recycling collection system, each resident is supplied one 64 gallon cart. Recyclable items are collected weekly on your regular rubbish day by a separate KIMBLE Recycling truck.
PLACING CANS AT CURB
All accepted recycling materials are to be placed out in the provided 64 gallon recycling cart at the curb or edge of the roadway. Recycling carts are supplied to residents free of charge by the Village. If your material exceeds the space inside the cart, it can be put in a clear or blue plastic bag and placed next to your recycling cart for collection. Please place out all material NO LATER THAN 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should be placed at the edge of the roadway on either the tree lawn or driveway apron with the lid opening to the street side and wheels facing your house. If you need a replacement wheeled recycling cart or repairs made to your cart, call Kimble Company at 1-800-201-0005.
NO SORTING NEEDED! Put all of your recyclable materials mixed together in your bright green Kimble cart. The recyclable materials will be segregated and prepared for market at Kimble’s state-of-the-art recycling plant. The following materials are accepted for the curbside recycling collection service:
- Paper & Newspaper: Paper should be clean and dry. Please no glossy paper of foil wrapping paper. Paper should not be stained by waste. Magazines, mail, newspapers and copier paper are accepted.
- Cardboard: Cardboard must be clean and dry. It should be flattened and be emptied of any packing materials. No food contamination such as grease on pizza boxes will be accepted.
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs: Only clean and empty plastic bottles and jugs are accepted. Please do not crush the bottles and keep lids on. No other plastic items are accepted – even if they have a recycle logo. Please rinse prior to placing in your recycling bin.
- Glass Bottles: All glass bottles should be empty, clean and dry before being placed loosely in the recycling cart. Please no glassware, mirrors, window panes or light bulbs. All green, clear, and brown glass food and beverage containers may be recycled. No other types of glass are accepted. Please rinse containers prior to recycling. Labels may remain on glass bottles and jars.
- Metal & Aluminum Cans: Only metal or aluminum food and drink cans are accepted. They should be empty, clean and dry before being placed loosely in the recycling cart. No other metal items are accepted.
- Rinsing: Please rinse out your recyclable containers to help reduce odors, insect attraction, liquid soiling of fiber products, and rejection of containers at the recycling plant.
Items that are not accepted for recycling include; clothes, plastic bags, liquids, anti-freeze and motor oil containers, light bulbs, wire hangers, toys, yard wastes, electronics, garbage, wood, wax cartons, batteries, Styrofoam, plastic utensils, wires or chains, food, paint cans, hoses, Christmas lights, plastic furniture. These items should be disposed of in the regular rubbish.
Recycling Right – In 3 Easy Steps…
- When in doubt…Throw it out! – Make sure that all items are on the Kimble Recycling Center’s approved list of accepted recyclables. If the item is not on the list or you are unsure place it directly into the trash.
- Recyclable must be clean and dry. – Food in considered a contaminate. No dirty peanut butter jars or bottles with water still in them. Cardboard must also be clean and dry. Greasy pizza boxes are not recyclable.
- No need to sort or bag your items. – Place your approved recyclables in your Kimble Recycling Cart all together. Items should be loose and un-bagged. Bags are contaminate at the recycling center.
SPECIAL WASTE COLLECTION
> household hazardous waste
> special item drop-off
> paper shredding
Special waste collection events are for Village residents only. Events are held 2x per year in March and September from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Chagrin Falls Street Department, 240 Solon Rd.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
- Oil or solvent-based paint, sealers, primers, and coatings (aerosols or liquids)
- Varnishes, polyurethanes, and shellacs
- Paint thinner, mineral spirits, and turpentine
- Pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides
- Caustic household cleaners.
- Pool chemicals
- Automotive fluids, motor oil, car batteries
- Adhesives, roof tar, and driveway sealer
- Kerosene, gasoline, and lighter fluid
- Tires. NO tires on rims
- Computers, monitors, and cellular phones
- Rechargeable batteries ONLY
NOTE: Alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable) are non-hazardous and can be placed in the regular trash. Dried-out paint and/or empty paint cans are not hazardous and should be placed in the regular rubbish.
- Latex paint
- Explosives, gun powder, ammunition, flares
- Medical waste, medicine, sharps
- Radioactive waste (i.e. smoke detectors)
- Electronics, appliances
- Business waste
- Fluorescent bulb
Fluorescent tube bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) are not accepted by the service department. Residents can recycle CFL bulbs (small, twisty bulbs) for free at any Home Depot or Lowe’s store. Other types of bulbs, fluorescent tubes, can be recycled at any Batteries Plus Bulbs retail locations. See also http://www.cuyahogarecycles.org/fluorescent_bulbs
Batteries Plus Bulbs Mayfield Heights, OH · (440) 459-0212
Batteries Plus Bulbs Macedonia, OH · (330) 510-5215
Latex and any other water-based paint are not hazardous materials, and are not accepted as part of the drop-off disposal program. Latex paint should be dried out and disposed of in the regular rubbish. An instructional video on how to dry out latex paint is available at www.cuyahogaswd.org.
If you have any questions about the rubbish or recycling collection services in Chagrin Falls, call
- Village Hall 440-247-5050
- Kimble 800-201-0005